Self Storage Tips
- Use smaller boxes for books and heavy items.
- Use larger boxes for lighter items.
- Reinforce the bottom of boxes with at least one strip of packing tape.
- Pack boxes firmly to prevent the contents from shifting.
- Seal boxes tightly with wide packing tape.
- Pack records and CDs vertically! Don't stack them flat, they will warp or bend!
- Place heavier items in the bottom of the box and lighter items on top.
- Rent, or purchase an appliance dolly for furniture, major appliances, and stacks of boxes.
- Remember, loading heavy furniture and appliances is not a one-person job. Get help.
- For major appliances, consult your user's manuals for specific moving and safety instructions.
- Wipe and dry the interiors of all appliances.
- Tape and/or tie down all movable parts.
- Disassemble the bed frame and
mark each piece so you will have an easy time putting it back together.
(Use packing tape to tie rails together.)
- Wrap mattresses in plastic mattress covers.
- Never pack more than 30 pounds of books in a box
- Alternate bindings, and cushion with packing paper.
- Hang clothing from closets in wardrobe boxes or plastic garment bags.
- Store clothing from dresser drawers in sturdy cardboard boxes.
If the boxes still have some space, consider filling them with bubble wrap.
- Wrap in bubble wrap and stack in a large box with bubble wrap or large peanuts.
- Remove light bulbs, harps, and lamp shades off lamp.
- Artwork & mirrors should be wrapped in paper, covered with cardboard.
- Wrap each fragile item separately with bubble wrap and packing tape.
- Layer wrapped items in sturdy cardboard box using large peanuts or wadded paper between.
- Place a final layer of peanuts or wadded paper on top, seal and mark.